Carbon monoxide can be a very serious problem for home and business owners. Carbon monoxide poisoning can make people very sick, and in some cases, it can even be deadly. For that reason, it’s important for people to educate themselves about carbon monoxide and learn the real facts about it. Here are some of the most common myths involving carbon monoxide and the truth behind them.

Myth: Carbon monoxide is something that you can smell.

Carbon monoxide is often referred to as the “silent killer,” because you cannot smell, see, or taste it. In fact, the only way that you will ever know if you have carbon monoxide in your home is through the use of a carbon monoxide detector. There are some combustion byproducts associated with carbon monoxide that you might be able to smell, but those odors are not directly related to the presence of carbon monoxide.

Myth: Carbon monoxide is significantly heavier than air, which is why you shouldn’t place a carbon monoxide detector on a ceiling.

Carbon monoxide is actually lighter than air, and studies done on this very issue have shown that carbon monoxide detectors placed on ceilings can detect carbon monoxide without a problem. But there are many manufacturers that recommend placing carbon monoxide detectors in specific areas of the home, so you should follow their instructions rather than placing your carbon monoxide detector wherever you want it to go. It’s the best way to prevent carbon monoxide problems.

Myth: Carbon monoxide isn’t as dangerous as everyone says it is.

Despite the fact that carbon monoxide is called the “silent killer,” there are some people who still believe it’s not as bad as everyone thinks. Nevertheless, consider this: More than 500 Americans die every single year from carbon monoxide exposure. Additionally, carbon monoxide poisoning has been named the most common kind of poisoning related to fatal indoor air in recent years. That means you should take carbon monoxide seriously and make sure you have at least one carbon monoxide detector in your home or business.

If you don’t have a carbon monoxide detector in your home or business, now is the time to consider installing one. Davis Ulmer Sprinkler Co. can handle the installation for you and tell you more about the dangers of carbon monoxide. Contact us today to discover how a carbon monoxide detector could save your life. Davis Ulmer Sprinkler Co is a full-service fire protection company that serves the Northeast corner of the United States.